VERSE 32 LALITASHASRANAMA KARANGULI
NAKHATHPANNA NARAYANA DASHAKRUTHIH
Image credits: Wikipedia
“Karanguli nakhotpanna narayana dashakrutih
Mahapashupatastragni nirdagdhasura sainika”
Who out of Her fingernails recreated all the Ten Incarnations of Vishnu to destroy the Asuras
slain by Him in His incarnations.”
There are 10 Avtaraas of Vishnu, commonly called the DASAVTARAS. They are the following:
Image source: Wikipedia/Raja ravi verma
- Matsya – fish (Paleozoic era). This avatar appeared to king Manu to break his pride and support the world as its horn as a fish when the world is threatened by floods and fires. Manu ties the boat carrying all creatures to the horn of Matsya and saves the world.
- Kurma – amphibious tortoise (Mesozoic era). This is the tortoise version that Vishnu takes to stop mount Mandara from sinking during the churning of the ocean by devas and asuras to get the amrita.
- Varaha – boar (Cenozoic era). This is the boar Vishnu avatar that lifts the earth from the depths of the ocean after it has been laid there by the demon, Hiranyakashyapa.
- Narasimha – man-lion, the last animal and semi-human avatar (Cenozoic era). This powerful avatar takes the form to kill Hiranayakashyapu and save his devotee, Prahlad.
- Vamana – growing dwarf and the first step towards the human form. This powerful avatar bestowed immortality to Bali and made him the king of Patal lok after Bali offered his head in sacrifice for Vamana’s three giant steps that covered the earth and all other worlds.
- Parasurama – a hero, but the imperfect human form. The Warrior With An Axe Avatar. He is the son of Jamadagni and Renuka and was granted a boon, an axe after a penance to Shiva. He is the first Brahmin-Kshatriya in Hinduism, or warrior-sage, who had to follow the dharma of both, a brahmin as well as a Kshatriya
- Rama – another hero, physically perfect, with his main devotee being Hanuman. He is the avatar of morality and rules and defeated evil in the form of king ravana.
- Krishna – son of Devaki. He is revered worldwide for being the perfect Godhead principle of compassion, wisdom and strength.
- Buddha – the Buddhism founder, The enlightened one who under the bodhi tree experienced nirvana and transferred the teachings of Buddhism to the world.
- Kalki – yet to happen and the savior. He will appear at the end of kali yuga on a white horse and with a sword to mark the beginning of satyyug.
This verse of the LALITASAHASRNAMA extolls the simple and yet powerful message that the 10 incarnations emerge from her toenails and thus one can imagine and fathom what can the shakti upasaka emerge as in the face of difficulties. When the surrender to her power is complete, great inner power is wielded by such an upasaka in the face of fear and sufferings of birth and death.
May we ever be on the lotus feet of Devi!